Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Paradoxes from Jesus: Slave or Free




Jesus prophesied that he was fulfilling Isaiah's prophesy saying that, 
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives ..." Luke 4:18
What kind of freedom for captives was Jesus bringing? What were they taken captive by? 

In another situation, Jesus famously calls people to come to him for rest, 
"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
But says that he will give them his "yoke", he doesn't completely release them from a yoke but frees them so that they would be captives again. Freedom for slaves to become slaves again? 

Again, Jesus instructs his disciples that they are to be slaves. 
"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave..." Matthew 20:25-27 
 What is the paradox of freedom that Jesus is communicating? 

No comments:

Post a Comment